Sciatic nerve pain can be caused by many things including a slipped disc, narrowing of the spinal cord from age, degenerative disc disease, pinched nerves, or even improper posture. The sciatic nerve runs from your back down behind your thighs, to the lower leg and foot area. When compressed, the pain can be excruciating.
Sciatic Nerve Pain
There are several methods of sciatica treatment that help to eliminate sciatic nerve pain including back pain exercises and therapy. Below you will find a few of these holistic type treatments that many people have found effective.
The word sciatica is associated with pain caused by irritation of either one of the nerve roots in the spine which comprise the sciatic nerve. Usually, there is tenderness or hurt experienced in the lower back and other different regions of the leg. Sciatic nerve pain can also result in momentary numbness, motion complications, and weakness in the muscles.
How to Ease Sciatic Nerve Pain
- Heat/Ice – A cold pack can reduce any kind of inflammation and numbness linked with sciatic nerve pain or sore muscle tissues, removing some of the pain related with it, and should only be applied when the pain is intense. The heat helps to increase the distribution of nutrients and oxygen to this particular part and is usually used only when the pain reduces.
- Trigger point Therapy – Another sciatica treatment that some people find effective is to apply pressure for approximately 2 minutes with a hard object to the trigger point area.
- Pillow – This nerve pain treatment is usually used and helpful in also alleviating common back pain. placing a pillow and under your knees, while sleeping, helps to remove the pressure that the disc is exerting on your sciatic nerve, thus, reducing the pain.
- Warm Bath or Hydrotherapy – having a warm bath reduces sore muscles and relaxes the body parts. Soaking for approximately 20 minutes helps relieve the pain caused by sciatic pain.
- Acupuncture – This old method of sciatic nerve pain treatment has gained popularity with people suffering from sciatica, and is very effective. It is known that acupuncture spreads out the external pathogen, which assists to stop the pain. This requires to be done professionally.
- Reflexology – It can be done by yourself with a reflexology tool. There are two reflex positions on your feet, and when pressure is applied in those regions for a short time, it reduces the pain from the nerve.
- Back Pain Exercises – Most back pain exercises will include stretching and strengthening, helping to train the muscles to hold the spine in a correct manner. The most effective back pain exercises for sciatica nerve pain include neck and shoulder stretches, back stretches, hip and buttock stretches, and hamstring stretches. These are always done slowly and should only be held for approximately 20 seconds so you do not hurt yourself.
- Massage Therapy – This is very beneficial to many people with back pain and nerve pain. The Oriental and Western methods are the most popular ones used today, but caution must be taken as to what kind of nerve pain you have. You should consult an expert in this field to decide which would be the best treatment for you.
- Diet – Keeping yourself healthy today with good nutrition, including vitamins and minerals, is always the right decision. People overweight or obese should think about losing some weight in order to take the pressure off their spines. Eating a well-balanced diet will boost your chances of fighting sciatica.
- Herbs – Herbs have been used throughout the centuries as a very holistic approach to relieving the pain of certain disorders such as sciatica, arthritis, inflammation, muscles, injuries, and wounds. Most of the conventional medicines today were at some time taken from a herb that was used many years ago but has since become commercialized.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Causes
Sciatic nerve pain can be controlled and sometimes cured completely with proper nutrition, natural remedies, and exercise. This will ensure you have a healthy, happy, enjoyable life. The nerve pain relief only occurs when you recognize that you must change more than one issue when sciatic pain develops. There are unique areas to sciatica that must be fixed along with the common issues that cause all lower back pain conditions.
Sciatica is actually a symptom, not a disease in itself, when pain travels away from the lower spine and down the leg, it is referred to as sciatica. It is just a common variant of lower back pain, except that the nerve pain is irritated and hence pain travels. It can be a confusing situation as pain doesn’t need to be all the way down your leg to be classified as being a sciatic condition. Pain in the buttock, thigh, or lower leg is all part of this irritation and the distance it travels doesn’t indicate the severity either.
At times it can be a serious issue with the discs being involved, but this is less common than just a few specific muscles and joints causing the pain. You should still rule out the more serious version of this, especially if the pain is not easing quickly, then it is best to seek help.
The Piriformis muscle is probably the most common cause of pain though, it needs to be assessed and addressed if you want to get complete sciatic nerve pain relief. It is important as the Piriformis has the sciatic nerve running through the muscle itself or directly below it. As soon as the muscle develops any tension the nerve is squeezed and irritated and pain occurs.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
The steps to get lasting relief are simple; all you need to do is remove both the symptoms and the cause. If you target the Piriformis muscle then you will get symptom relief quickly, you should also check for trigger points in the area too as these commonly cause pain. Being pain-free or close to it allows your body to heal faster, which is why symptom relief is still important.
But sciatic nerve treatment will only ever last if you remove the causes and all of them too. You need to address the tight muscles along with the weak muscles in the lower back, both are just as important. You also need to rebalance your pelvis which can become twisted and allow muscles to develop imbalances too.
Although sciatica is not classed as a disease itself, it is still a debilitating condition that needs early intervention. You need to remember that this is a simple variation of common lower back pain; the only difference is the irritation to the nerve by certain factors.
You should follow a simple plan for nerve pain treatment, it should correct the symptoms and the cause if don’t want relief to be temporary. But by following a simple plan pain can ease quickly and you can simply prevent recurrences also.
The Major Causes of Nerve Inflammation
Most people depict sciatic pain as sharp, achy, dull, like needles or pins pricking the skin. Many will say that it’s like experiencing electric shocks all up to your rear end and leg. Other feelings related to sciatica are numbness, tingling, and burning sensations that never seem to stop and increase with stress and anxiety.
Sciatic nerve inflammation and flair-up are brought about by any number of reasons, but the primary cause can be traced back to physical strain throughout normal, everyday life. Some of the more common causes are poor posture in sitting, walking, standing, or even sleeping, muscle strains from sports or other physical activities, or other maladies. All of these add up to extra stress on surrounding tissue which can cause flair-ups. For the most part, it is the nerve itself that is normally being irritated, wherefrom tumors, pregnancy, or other factors.
In many cases, the pain is brought on by the constant and ever-present contraction of the rear muscles end where the nerve is located. The nerve resides below the piriformis muscle which is positioned near the lower spine and aids in the mobility of the hip. This muscle tends to be very susceptible to irritation from many outside factors.
The cause of the pain is really difficult to pinpoint sometimes, but your doctor will evaluate your medical charts and history, as well as give you a full physical exam. Sometimes x-rays and MRI are also needed.
These tests can aid to uncover probable contraindications to spinal changes and other chiropractic remedies. Take into account that the right analysis is the first move to get to the bottom of your medical disorder. There is a number of causes of sciatic nerve inflammation and pain.
There is a way to cure sciatica and the discomfort that comes with it, but you need to be prepared to work at it. Curing the problem may involve several steps and you it will not be easy. It takes persistence and the ability to work for a goal. Do it right, and you will get better.
Sciatica Nerve Pain Stretches
You are without a doubt exhausted of this lower back pain, and willing to do almost anything in order to find some relief. If you are trying to find natural ways to get through this horribly unnatural pain, you are not alone might possibly be of interest to you. There is a lot of curiosity about how you can use sciatic nerve stretches to come across alleviation, and what to steer clear of when using sciatic nerve stretches.
It is my hope that using these simple tips will help you to stop feeling like this pain controls you.
The first tip – is a stretch. And it is a very simple one. And it works amazingly well because you can use it essentially anywhere, without anyone even understanding that you are doing it. This stretch opens up your hips and relieves pressure off of your lower back. Believe it or not, it is sitting cross-legged (also known as Indian style or the meditation position). Do this stretch a few times daily and see fast results.
The next tip – is to stay away from any stretch where the ‘core’ of your body is not supported somehow. This means that rotational stretches, or lower back stretches that dictate you to bend and twist should be avoided. The only exception to this would be if your doctor requested that you make it part of your treatment plan since he has a history of your sciatica pain and would best know which sciatic nerve stretches would work for you.
The last tip – is to make sure that you stretch daily. So many people stretch when they are in pain. While this can sometimes give you good results, wouldn’t it be easier to keep the pain away in the first place? When you start, you may want to stretch a few times a day for at least ten minutes at a time. The most important time to stretch is before bed. This will help to provide at least some lower back relief while you are sleeping.
No matter your sciatic treatment plan, sciatic nerve stretches should be a part of it. The greatest thing about stretching even though you have to be diligent about it in the beginning, as your pain becomes more manageable, you can reduce your stretching to once a day or once every other day and still avoid a sciatica flare.
So if you know someone who is suffering from sciatica, you need to learn all the different hidden suicide warning signs, so that you can interfere when the person’s worsening condition drives them to attempt suicide. If you yourself are suffering from a nerve complication, you need to provide a suicide warning signs guide to a person with whom you interact on the daily basis.
remember if you are ever driven to suicide, you won’t really be thinking…you might say now that there is no way you’d kill yourself because of your sciatic nerve pain…but when your condition worsens…you might think otherwise…at which point you’ll be glad that someone around you is able to interfere and save your life. Remember, the pain is temporary, suicide is permanent.